Oct 18, 2017 8:09 PM
Behind the backs of bureaucracy
Menu
Permalink

Glen is right. This world does look strange.
They'll block it off immediately. There was no doubt of that. Power stirs inside of this universe and it doesn't fit any of the normal patterns. They'll say it is too much of a risk to even send one person inside. 

Glen had called him immediately. She hadn't released the information. She wants to know if he is willing to risk it. 

He is. 

He's more prepared than normal. His pocket is filled with food and medical supplies and plenty of goods to trade. He might be here for a while.
He reaches up, touches the teleporter hanging around his neck. 

He steps into an unknown world.

Total: 738
Posts Per Page:
Permalink

It's dark. No suns or moons in the sky, no artificial lighting anywhere to be seen on the ground. He's close enough to hear waves crashing against some rocky shore, and the air smells salty.

Permalink

He pulls out a flashlight. It is bright and the beam can be adjusted. He sets it so that the beam is wide and diffuse, illuminating as much of the landscape as possible. 

Permalink

Rocky. Dark. There's something in the distance that's either an absurdly symmetrical rock formation or a fortress.

 

There are shapes moving around its base. They definitely notice him.

Permalink

He narrows the beam slightly, aiming it just below the moving figures so he doesn't blind anyone.

Permalink

And they head towards him, a bit warily.

Permalink

He holds the flashlight with his teeth, and digs a lamp out of his pocket. He hopes these people don't react negatively to light, but he needs to see. He turns the lamp onto it's lowest setting and selects red light so he can preserve his night vision.

Permalink

And they approach. They are - kind of grotesque. Asymmetrical humanoid faces, skin thick and leathery and scarred, hair missing in chunks, skulls dented as if deliberately. And they smell. And they're carrying axes and swords and javelins.

Permalink

Alex holds out his hands, palms up.
"Hello," he says, on the off chance they understand him.

Permalink

They don't. One of them says something in their own language.

Permalink

His translator is working, but it's going to need a lot more input before he can communicate.
"I don't know where I am. My name's Alex."

Permalink

Grumbles and muttering. Still not enough input to get communication up. They're not being threatening with the weapons, though. One word is recurring in the muttering - Elda?

Permalink

"Elda?" He asks, making it as clear as possible that he's asking a question.
He sits down to make himself less threatening and reaches into his pocket, which will appear to them as if he is reaching into a bag.

Permalink

Elda lots of really vehement angry muttering, apparently. 

Permalink

He pulls out a candy bar. He has no idea what they eat, but they look close enough to human that this might work.
He unwraps it, every movement slow, and breaks off a chunk. He eats it. He then offers the rest to them. 

Permalink

No takers. The muttering calms down slightly, though.

Permalink

"No one's hungry?"
He takes another bite of the candy bar and then sets it on the ground.
"Light?" he asks, gesturing at the lamp.

Permalink

No light, Elda something something.

Permalink

He reaches slowly into his pocket again and grabs a bottle of water.
"Water?" he asks, taking a sip.
He offers that to them as well.
Their grumbling is helping. His translator doesn't have enough context for most of the words, but it's picking up some of the grammar.

Permalink

No water either. One of them tentatively offers him an axe. Something Elda something.

Permalink

He sets the water down. He opens his hand and reaches for the axe. He's not going to grab it, but he will let the being give it to him.

Permalink

Now he has an axe. An approving mutter ripples through the crowd.

Permalink

"Thank you."
He tests the sharpness of the blade on the candy bar.
He makes what he hopes is a pleased sound.

Permalink

This seems to pretty much work. Something something Elda?

Permalink

If they are impressed by weapons...
He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a what looks like a thin, silver wire attached to a handle.
This isn't actually good for fighting, too brittle, but it might impress them. 
He flips it on and slices through a rock.

Permalink

They are very impressed! Outright delighted! Lots of eager discussion and argument and some elbowing for a better view.

Total: 738
Posts Per Page:
Back to Top