Feb 22, 2020 5:22 PM
Fairy Revan in the Wormverse
Permalink
Morgan doesn't strictly need to sleep. Even if she didn't want to put up with the annoyance of constantly having a caffeine buzz and having to ask for coffee on almost every summon, there are naps. Naps can keep a daeva going for quite a long time.

But there's something unutterably pleasant about curling up in a proper bed in pajamas and just sleeping. And then waking up and getting breakfast in those pajamas. So she does that, because immortality's a long unpleasant time if you don't enjoy the little things every now and then. Like adorable bunny slippers and soft pajamas and sleeping in.

She's midway through a fruity salad thing that counts as the standard fairy breakfast when she feels the summon. Showing up to a summon in pajamas? Eh. If they're proper summoners she bets they've seen worse, and she doesn't particularly care if they think she's unprofessional.

She puts her spoon down and accepts the summon.
Total: 1212
Posts Per Page:
Permalink
...the person's definitely unprofessional. You can tell by the way her room's full of pink fluffy things and dolls and drawings.

"Fairy!" a small child cries, and runs up to cling to her legs.

The second thing Morgan might notice is the fact that the pink fluffy things are all strewn about, there is random destruction everywhere, it is raining really hard, and every now and then there is a tremor that causes more things to fall and more generalized destruction.

"Help me fairy! Make the bad monster go away!"
Permalink



She has visuals of the last time a daeva went rogue, of a desperate and useless nuke doing absolutely nothing to stop the angel that casually put people into their own living hells, totally conscious -

Morgan kneels down and pats the child's head. "I will. What's your name, I'm going to need to find you again later to get home."
Permalink

"I'm- I'm Mary," she sobs, hiding her face on Morgan's skin.

Permalink

Morgan pets her hair.

"Okay Mary," she says in a soothing voice. "What's your last name, too? I want to be sure I can find you."

Permalink

"O'Brien," she says, and sniffles.

Permalink

"Okay. I'll go make the monster go away, it'll be okay."

Does Mary's room have a window? She'd rather not deal with parents that are overwhelmingly likely to be concerned about an unbound fairy running around that was summoned by their daughter.

Permalink

Well, if she looked for Mary's parents, she would most definitely find out at least 80% of the reason she was crying. But as it happens, there is a window, pelted by the rain but not (yet) broken.

Permalink

So that's her exit -

Another tremor shakes the ground. She frowns. She looks at Mary. If she dies, that's it, Morgan can't help anymore.

"Do you and your parents have a safe place to go?"

Permalink






She bursts into helpless wailing.
Permalink

 


Ah.

That makes things very clear.

"Shh, shh, it's okay," she murmurs, and she gently reaches down to offer Mary a hug that will lead into picking her up to take her elsewhere. "I'm going to get you somewhere safe and then make the monster go away, okay?"

Permalink

She buries her face in Morgan's hair and nods, still crying.

Permalink

Morgan gently picks her up with only mostly her arms and opens the window, and out she goes.

She stops the rain before it hits them - like rain hitting a windshield, but without the noise of it or the windshield. No use letting the child be disturbed anymore.

Is there a place that looks obviously safe nearby? Or does she need to fly her away further?

Permalink
Definitely fly her away further. There isn't anything obviously anything anywhere because visibility is so low.

...well, there is the giant superfast silhouette in the distance apparently causing mayhem as well as various specks (flying or otherwise) making a lot of light appear in the silhouette's vicinity.
Permalink

She will handle the giant superfast silhouette later. Child that is necessary for Morgan to continue being here first.

"I'm going to, fairy step," she says, because 'I am going to move us and the air around us very very fast while compensating for whiplash' is a bit much for a small child, "and we'll move very fast, but it's perfectly safe. I need to get you away from the monster before I make it go away."

Permalink

She nods again and clings harder.

Permalink

And they go very fast, but the wind doesn't hurt them at all. And they don't get rained on. Sort of like being in a car, except a bit more fun.

She'll err on the side of caution for getting the kid away. Get her to where it isn't raining anymore. Are there safe looking places where it isn't raining?

Permalink

...no.

It is an island.

It is raining everywhere on the island, and a ways away from it as well.

There is also a tidal wave coming from that-a-way.

Permalink

...

The tidal wave can stop its shit right now.

Permalink
Well, a whole lot of water is now no longer destroying things!

...too bad there's still a lot more where that came from. It is after all a tidal wave, there is a lot of water coming.
Permalink

Yeah, she'll be back, that just particularly pissed her off.

Fly fly fly away from the island she doesn't know Earth all that well and can't really figure out where they are but she can get them away from here.

(She's nearly certain that it's a fairy causing havoc. A demon could make the tidal wave, and maybe the earthquakes too if they were very creative, but not pull off the super-speed. So this is a fairy she's dealing with. Problematic, makes it hard to pick up the fairy and drag them into space for a time out, but she bets she can manage it.)

Safe-looking place now?

Permalink

Well she's pretty fast, eventually she will find a safe-looking place, a harbor and a city with actual people in it and no monster destroying it.

Permalink

Oh, good. She starts looking for a police station, from up in the air.

... She should probably get this kid to not mention summoning a fairy to anyone, lest they get very concerned and a bit overzealous. Summoners can sometimes get a bit trigger happy when they think there's a chance of a rogue daeva.

What's a convincing way to tell her not to talk about summoning a fairy?

Probably just asking, honestly.

"Hey," says Morgan, "can you do something for me, Mary?"

Permalink

Mary looks up at the fairy and nods. She's not openly crying anymore but her eyes are puffy and red and she's sniffling.

Permalink

"Can you keep me a secret? I'm worried that people might get scared if you say you summoned a fairy. You can still say I'm a fairy. Just - saying you summoned one might scare people, and things are scary enough right now, aren't they?"

Permalink

She nods again many times. She doesn't seem to want to speak much.

Total: 1212
Posts Per Page: